What’s your idea of the perfect couples’ ski retreat? The spot should encompass activities you both can enjoy—whether that’s a day at the spa or great après skiing. The perfect winter ski vacation spot should also include accessible dining and shopping options.
We’ve compiled a list of seven amazing places for a ski retreat. So book your flights, reserve you hotel and be sure to pack your suitcase full of warm winter ski clothing!
1. Squaw Valley, California – This North Lake Tahoe destination sees more than 300 sunny days per year and has a variety of restaurants to accommodate every craving – from café style and fine dining to pubs and bars, including the well-known Bar One and the classic après, Le Chamois.
Add the latest fashions to your wardrobe at the boutiques and galleries in the shopping village, where you’ll find popular favorites like The North Face, Patagonia and more.And, after a long day of skiing and shopping, you can relax and unwind at Squaw’s full-service Trilogy Spa.
2. Heavenly, California – Satisfy your taste for luxury at the well-appointed Heavenly. This unique destination overlooks the sapphire-blue waters of Lake Tahoe and features the Body Essentials Salon & Day Spa, where relaxation experts will pamper you from head to toe. You can also choose from an extensive assortment of restaurants and lounges that will cater to every yen – from Asian to traditional American and everything in between.
3. Jackson Hole, Wyoming – Located near Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, this ski destination is a must-see for its natural beauty and terrain.After a long day on the mountain, fuel up at the Mangy Moose, voted North American Ski Resorts’ No. 1 restaurant and entertainment complex, or visit the Snake River Brewing Company for their internationally celebrated microbrews. You can also reserve some time at Mountain Lodge Spa, a 12,000-sq.-ft., three-story spa that offers treatment rooms for individuals and couples.
4. Aspen, Colorado– Travel to Aspen and you’ll find amazing skiing and celebrity sightings.Aspen resorts feature a selection of more than 100 upscale and casual lounges and restaurants. Take in the thrilling nightlife, which is consistently ranked among the best with jazz lounges, billiard halls, dance clubs and coffee houses. This destination is also filled with exquisite shops, art galleries, antique sellers and more.
When you’re ready for some downtime, book a luxurious spa package at The Aspen Club & Spa, the second largest in Colorado.
5. Vail, Colorado – This incredible skiing destination offers seven miles of mountain front, 5,289 acres of bliss and a charming village complete with cobblestone streets. Vail includes an outstanding spa, as well as many retail shops, galleries and boutiques.
Deciding which restaurant to try may be difficult. Try Bol for an alternative twist on classic dishes, uptown nightlife and boutique bowling. Or, savor Eastern flavors at Nozawa Sushi Bar & Asian Kitchen. Then, spend a night on the town at one of the Après skiing establishments, bars, dancing or live music venues.
6. Crystal Mountain, Washington – This is one of the Northwest’s hidden treasures, nestled near Mt. Rainier National park. For an unparalleled feast for eyes and palate, ride the Mt. Rainier gondola to the Summit House to enjoy a breath-taking view and an unforgettable meal. Reservations for this unique experience are required.
Après is a staple at Crystal Mountain. Visit the Bullwheel or Snorting Elk Cellar, which both regularly feature live music. Plus, you can relax and rejuvenate at one of several area spas.
7. Whistler Blackcomb, British Columbia, Canada – As the Official Alpine Skiing venue for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, this resort will not fail to please. From challenging slopes and revitalizing spas to a variety of village boutiques that make it a shopper’s paradise, you’ll love the Whistler escape. And, when it’s time to dine, you can choose from elegant dining to grab-and-go.Rim Rock Café and Oyster Bar has consistently been voted one of Whistler’s best fine dining establishments.
The night scene also has a variety of bars and lounges to choose from. Whistler’s public transit runs from 4:30 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. every day, so there is no need to drive.
Tip: While you’re planning your romantic ski get-away this year, don’t forget to make sure all the men’s and women’s ski apparel – including jackets, pants, boots and other accessories – are in good condition. That way you’re ready to hit the slopes soon after you arrive.